Gestalt Publishing Pty Limited (Gestalt) publishes books and other titles including comics, graphic novels, literary and commercial fiction for a wide range of age groups. Gestalt operates the website at www.gestaltcomics.com and various social media sites including the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/gestaltpublishing.
- references to Gestalt shall include the company as a whole;
- the “Websites” shall mean www.gestaltcomics.com, www.changingways.com, www.exploringthedeep.com; and
- the “Social Media Sites” shall mean the social media sites operated by Gestalt, as detailed further on the Websites.
2. Collection of your personal information
(a) What kind of personal information do we collect?
Gestalt may collect personal information including (but not limited to) the following: your title, name, address, email address (personal and work), telephone numbers, employer name, fax number, date of birth and payment details. We may also collect other types of personal information that you share with us in connection with:
- your submission of a work for publication by Gestalt;
- your entry into a competition, including on one of the Websites or on a website set up by Gestalt specifically for the conduct of a competition;
- your addition of content, access to and receipt of content on one of the Websites or the Social Media Sites;
- your feedback (including complaints) in relation to Gestalt’s products and services.
We also collect other information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, our business functions and activities.
(b) Why does Gestalt collect your personal information?
Where Gestalt collects and holds personal information, it is collected and held for our business purposes, which are generally to provide products and services to our customers, to operate our Websites and Social Media Sites, and to administer our relationship with authors, readers, booksellers, the media, author agents, suppliers and others. These purposes include the following:
- Online sales – to enable us to fulfill orders placed via the Websites;
- Booksellers – to manage our relationship with our bookseller partners, including by stocking books to them;
- Corporate partners – to manage our relationship with our corporate partners, including by fulfilling orders placed by them;
- Authors and suppliers – to enable us to publish books on behalf of our authors;
- Media – to manage our relationship with our media contacts, including by promoting upcoming book releases and other events to them;
- Events – to send customers and other stakeholders invitations to, or information about, events, competitions, promotions, products or services;
- Competitions – to facilitate the conduct of promotions and competitions, including on the Websites and on websites set up specifically to conduct competitions;
- Newsletters and special offers – to provide customers with details of events, products and services of Gestalt via our newsletters and special offer emails; and
- Feedback and Complaints – to improve our products and services.
You are not required to provide us with your personal information, however if you do not do so, we may be unable to provide you with certain content, products, services or information, to accept entries into promotions or competitions, or to process your orders.
(c) How does Gestalt collect your personal information?
In most instances, we collect personal information directly from our authors, customers, booksellers, suppliers and others. For example, when a bookseller emails us to enquire about stocking a book, we may collect their contact details so we can respond to them.
We will not collect personal information where such collection would be unlawful or unrelated to Gestalt’s business activities or functions. The means by which we collect your personal information includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Email – If you send us an email, for example to enquire about the release date for a particular book, we will record your email address.
- Telephone enquiries – If you call us to make an enquiry, we may ask for your contact details including your name, email and telephone number.
- Referrals – You may have the option to “tell a friend” about particular products, events or other material on the Gestalt website by submitting your name and email address along with your friend’s name and email address. We will not use your friend’s email address for any purpose beyond the purpose for which you provided it to us (including adding it to any mailing list) without their consent. You or your friend may contact us to remove respective names and emails from our records by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forms – If you wish to register a user account, subscribe to our newsletters or other alerts, or submit a “Contact Us” form via one of the Websites, you will be required to complete an electronic form. As part of this process, you will be required to enter personal information including your name and email address.
- Shopping cart – If you make purchases via one of the Websites, you must provide us with personal information to allow us to process your order and payment and to deliver the purchased item to you. We keep a record of your purchase data for our reporting and accounting purposes. This data may be used by Gestalt for the purpose of marketing other products or services to you, but only with your consent.
If you do not wish for your information to be gathered on a cookie it is possible to disable the acceptance of cookies by your web browser. If the Websites use a cookie to deliver content we think will interest you, the cookie may also be used for authentication.
The information collected from these cookies is for the exclusive use of Gestalt and will not be disclosed to any third parties.
3. Use and disclosure of your personal information
We generally use and disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was originally collected (see section 2(b)). We may also use or disclose it for another purpose if you consent to that secondary purpose, or where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose it for that secondary purpose (and the secondary purpose is related to the purpose for original collection).
In addition, Gestalt may use or disclose personal information:
- where required or authorised by or under an Australian law (including the Act) or court/tribunal order; or
- if certain situations set out in section 6.2 of the Australian Privacy Principles apply, including where we hold a reasonable belief that the use or disclosure is required for certain enforcement or healthy and safety purposes, or that use or disclosure is necessary in relation to certain suspected unlawful activity or misconduct; or
- if reasonably necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim;
Your personal information may be disclosed to:
- external service providers, for example in relation to their storage and management of databases, management of website and email traffic, processing of credit card information and fulfilment of orders from the Websites – this disclosure will always be on a confidential basis and such service providers will be limited in their use of your information to the purpose of Gestalt activities only;
- specialist advisers who have been engaged to provide legal, administrative, financial, insurance, research, marketing or other services; and
- any other person authorised by you, as specified by you.
If we disclose your personal information to third parties, we impose strict obligations of security and confidentiality regarding the way they handle that information. We do not grant them permission to sell or transfer your personal information and they may only access your personal information to the extent necessary for the services Gestalt requires.
We do not generally disclose personal information to recipients in overseas countries. However, as an international business that regularly engages with overseas stakeholders, in limited circumstances we may disclose to overseas recipients with your consent (which may be implied).
Gestalt may at other times notify you about its disclosure practices in relation to specific services that it provides in relation to its activities.
4. Holding and securing your personal information
Once collected, we may hold your personal information in a number of different formats, including (but not limited to) software programs (located both onsite and offsite, including in the cloud), databases, filing systems and in offsite backup storage.
Gestalt takes all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, modification, disclosure, interference or other misuse.
5. Other websites
If the Websites or any of the Social Media Pages contain a link to another website, Gestalt will not be responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such other websites.
6. Access to and correction of your personal information
At any time, you may request access to personal information about you that Gestalt holds by contacting our Privacy Officer at email@example.com or by mail addressed to the Privacy Officer, Gestalt Publishing, PO Box 1506, Applecross WA 6953, Australia. Gestalt will process your request within a reasonable time. If Gestalt is not legally required to provide access to the personal information requested and exercises its discretion not to provide that information, we will let you know our reasons for doing so. We may charge you for the cost of accessing your personal information, but if we do so the charge will not be excessive and will not apply to the making of the request.
Please notify Gestalt promptly if there are any changes to your personal information. You may ask Gestalt at any time to correct personal information it holds about you by contacting our Privacy Officer using the details above, and Gestalt must respond to you within a reasonable time.
If you have a complaint about Gestalt’s compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles, you should contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided in section 6. Gestalt will investigate your complaint and respond to you within a reasonable time and in accordance with its legal obligations. It will take any necessary corrective actions promptly.
For further information about privacy issues, see the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.